Tams Family Homepage - Amy, Matthew, Ryan, Zachary, and Kevin
family blogmatthewryanzachandrew

Monday, May 31, 2010

Ryan

Oh Ryan, where to begin? Our Ry-Ry is a compact ball of energy waiting to explode. He does everything wholeheartedly - playing, singing, running, jumping, crying, throwing fits, giving hugs and kisses, etc. He has always been independent, but lately he has been sure to let us know that he wants to do EVERYTHING by himself. He loves to play with his older brother Matthew, anything having to do with Star Wars, legos, cars, etc. And somewhere along the way he developed a new fascination with Batman and Mr. Freeze.

Ryan is also very interested in small or little things. He likes to hold old floss containers and a small toy cell-phone and always checks out the smallest board books at the library. He has a very boyish connection with bugs and rocks and can find a new rock anywhere we go. He actually has several rock collections in our backyard for this very purpose. He also thinks that he has the ability to "grow little" and is always commmenting on "when I grow little again..." It's usually so he can wear an old shirt or play with an old toy, but it's funny that his mind works that way.

Here is Ryan with his "Rainbow Mountain"

I think I've mentioned before that Ryan is very literal. Everything is taken at face value with him. When I tell him to "cool your jets" or "hold your horses" I often get an exasperated "Mom, I don't have any jets!!" (or horses). Ryan cannot be referred to as cute, handsome, funny, silly, or any other adjective. "I'm just Ryan," he informs us.

He doesn't take naps anymore, although he probably should about every third day. This is what happens when you go to time out for a few minutes...

He is also very curious about the world and has a great sense of humor. A while ago he asked Kevin, "Dad, why do you not have hair?" Kevin could only reply that some people lose their hair as they get older and that he hoped the same fate would escape Ryan. Sometimes I'll ask Ryan if he knows where something is and he'll say, "I know." "Where?" "It's lost." Thanks, dude. One time I asked him where his shoes were and he responded, "I don't know. Maybe they ran away." Another time he came up to me out of the blue and said, "Mom, look at my head." "What's wrong with it?" "I don't have a hat!" Ryan is very attached to his hat and loves to wear it at all times of day.

Case in point:

Some other fun things about Ryan:

He loves to ride bikes.

He has Life cereal for breakfast almost every day.

He is learning how to write his name
(and tends to draw on other things in the process.)
We love our Ryan and all the fun he brings to our family.

2 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

I love his literal responses about not having any jets or horses. Such a kid thing to say. So cute! Or, I should say, so Ryan since you can't describe him with any adjectives. ;)

Natalie said...

I just think that you should have warned me about the "energy" that comes with naming a boy Ryan :) I might have chosen another name since it seems our two Ryan's are built from the same mold! Good luck!