His computer game knowledge is amazing. We probably let him play a little more often than he should, but even if that weren't the case I don't think he would be any different. The kid has the mind of a steel trap. Nothing escapes his observation and he can practically memorize something he sees within one viewing. His listening skills are the same in that regard and he can therefore recall anything you say to him, for better or worse. He tells me stories about things we talked about several months ago. It's hard for my tired brain to remember sometimes. We told him that we would take the family to see Toy Story 3 in the theaters when it came out. I am reminded every day that June 18th is coming soon. And August can't come soon enough for him to start kindergarten (still a little too close for comfort for me.)
He is still very interested in anything Star Wars or Lego related. He and Ryan will rotate through all the Star Wars characters on any given day. He also likes to reconstruct his legos to make new and better space craft. He comes up with some great stuff. He will occasionally play with cars or other toys. One time he was playing with a little knight person. I was checking my email when he came to me and asked if he could show me something. He proceeded to pull off the knight's hair to reveal its "brains," a fuzz-ball he just happened to find and decided it would make a great addition to his empty-headed guy. Nice.

He has always loved reading and we have been practicing some words, but all of a sudden his interest has increased and his knowledge has literally exploded. He tries to read everything he sees and can usually read the word or come pretty close. He still spells phonetically, but knows enough that he can figure out a word if it is spelled vocally. Kevin and I have started speaking in Spanish around him when we need to communicate grown-up information that Matthew doesn't need to know. I'm sure he'll figure that out too someday.
Matthew just finished playing soccer and he LOVED it. He couldn't wait for the next game to come and was pretty sad when the season was over.


The best thing about watching Matthew play was his smile. He wasn't the best player on the team as far as his skill-set goes, but he was always smiling.


I asked him one day if he might want to try another sport. He was hesitant at first. I was just curious, so I started throwing out suggestions. "What about basketball?" He gave me a weird look and said he doesn't think he would be very good at basketball. "Maybe baseball......or golf," he says. I didn't think the kid even knew what golf was.
A few other fun things about Matthew:
He is learning how to ride a bike. He almost has it down. We are just working on the notion that momentum keeps you going and upright.
He has decided he is too old for baths and prefers showers.
He is excellent at sneaking contraband. The best place to find something missing is under his bed.
Matthew is a great helper and older brother. He is always willing to get me something if my hands are tied. Just the other day I was watching the kids out the window while I finished up the dinner dishes. I watched as Zachary pointed to the swing and Matthew lifted him on the swing and started to push him. I actually got a little teary-eyed watching. I can't believe how big my oldest is getting.







2 comments:
So sweet. It makes me wish I lived closer so I could see you and your kids more often.
I can't believe how big he is getting. It's so surreal to think that he's going to be starting Kindergarten.
I didn't know you spoke Spanish? I knew Kevin did, but not you. That's cool! :)
Post a Comment