Tams Family Homepage - Amy, Matthew, Ryan, Zachary, and Kevin
family blogmatthewryanzachandrew

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Big Brothers don't need naps!

Here is a funny conversation I had with my dear little 3 year old today. You'd think he was a teenager with all of the indecisiveness.

On the way home from the store....

Mom: Matthew, we need to get home so you can have your nap.
Matthew: But mom, I'm not tired. I don't need a nap.
Mom: I think you might.
M: But mom, big brothers don't need naps.

At home shortly thereafter....

M: Mom, I want to play with the pumpkins. (We just bought some new pumpkin buckets for Halloween.)
Mom: I think it's time to read a story and get ready for bed.
M: I want to play with both pumpkins.
Mom: One of them is Ryan's.
M: I want two pumpkins.
Mom: We have two pumpkins - one for you and one for Ryan.
M: (while crying) But I want two. You should buy me another one at the store.
Mom: I think you are tired. Let's put the pumpkins away and take a nap.
M: But I want a snack first. (still crying)
Mom: Okay, let's have a snack.
M: But I don't want a snack.
Mom: Then let's read a story and go to bed.
M: I don't want a story (real tears now)
Mom: Then let's take you to bed and tuck you in.
M: I want a story (wailing)
Mom: Go pick which one you want.
M: I will go and pick it by my own self. I will read it by my own self.
Mom: Are you sure? I will be happy to read you a story.
M: (still crying) No, I want to do it by my own self.
Mom: Are you going to tuck yourself in too?
M: Yes.
Mom: Okay, I love you.
M: Okay (still crying as he walks up the stairs)

Amazingly enough, he stopped crying, read his story and shut the door. I went up to check on him and found the story slid under the door and Matthew in his bed asleep. I guess big brothers really do need naps sometimes.

1 comment:

A said...

We keep trying to get Jackson to talk but I think once he starts, in moments like the one you illustrated here, we will wish he never started! Just kidding, the random freak outs are worth it for all of the cute and amazing things they do. Clarification: AFTER THEY ARE IN BED, their tantrums seem less intense than they were while they were happening and they become cute again, and it is all worth it.